I am LGBTI+ and feel unsafe in my country. What can I do?

Not all places are equally safe for LGBTI+ individuals. Certain countries violate the human rights of LGBTI+ people. In certain locations, sexual activities that do not involve heterosexual partners are prohibited. In other locations, such behaviours are legal, but people still hold many biases. This situation can also be hazardous. Not all countries can or desire to safeguard the LGBTI+ individuals residing in their territories.


If you live in a foreign country and feel unsafe, there are options to seek help. If you face persecution or threats due to your gender identity, sexual orientation or intersex condition, there are support services available to you. If you need help, there are services you can contact for assistance

You want to stay in your country

If you are seeking support as an LGBTI+ person or an activist for LGBTI+ rights, there are a few options available to you.


One option is to reach out to local LGBTI+ organizations or human rights organizations.

ILGA World provides a list of affiliated associations around the world, which may be a good starting point. However, it is important to note that some organizations listed may focus solely on policy work and may not provide individual support. Therefore, it is advisable to do further research to identify organizations that can specifically assist you.

Additionally, you can use search engines to find relevant organizations by using keywords such as 'LGBTI+ organization' or 'human rights organization'.


For activists wanting to increase their safety, Protection International and Front Line Defenders offer guides that contain valuable tips and resources.

These guides are not only beneficial for activists but also for LGBTI+ people who are not involved in activism. Both organizations are committed to protecting human rights defenders worldwide.


In case of immediate danger, activists can contact Front Line Defenders' emergency line for assistance.

You want to flee your country

Please note!

  • Lumi cannot help you obtain a visa or residence permit.
  • The process of seeking asylum is challenging. Most applications are not accepted. 
  • Belgium currently does not have enough places to house all asylum seekers.


LGBTI+ people who face danger in their country of origin can apply for asylum based on their sexual orientation or gender identity in several countries, including Belgium. The same applies to intersex people.

ORAM specializes in protecting vulnerable refugees, including LGBTI+ people. They provide general information on applying for asylum on their website.


Do you have family living in Europe?

Family reunification might be possible. The Fedasil website provides further details on this process and you can contact Myria's free helpline. 


In cases where fleeing the country is potentially dangerous, resettlement assistance can be offered. This is however very exceptional. There are two organizations facilitating resettlement.

Terug naar hoofdmenu